Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Harper's Baptism

My first Mother's Day was a very special and wonderful day! Not only am I so incredibly blessed to be a Mom to such a precious girl, we were able to celebrate Harper's baptism as well! What a privilege it was for Joel and I to dedicate our sweet girl to the Lord with our families there to honor this special occasion. It is our deepest desire that Harper accepts Christ as her Savior one day, and we have promised to raise her in the knowledge of His mercy and grace. We know that Harper ultimately belongs to the Lord... how blessed we are that he has "loaned" her to us to raise!

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." -Proverbs 22:6


One happy and lucky Momma on Mother's Day 2009!


Waiting for our big moment. Our dear friends,the Cates, also baptized their little girl Elizabeth Grace. All in all, Harper did pretty well during the baptism and only got a little fussy. It was during our 11 o'clock service, which is smack-dab in the middle of her normal morning nap time...which wasn't really established yet when I reserved this date a month or so ago. So although she wasn't exactly in top form, she held up fairly well. Perhaps for our 2nd child, I'll remember to reserve a baptism slot during the first service! :)


The "covenant child" with her cap. This was crocheted by my great-grandmother. My mom wore it when she was baptized in 1946 and I wore it when I was baptized in 1978.


One of our pastors, James Forsyth, did the honors.

We were SO grateful to have our families there to witness the occasion. My parents came up from San Antonio, Joel's from OKC, my Godmother from Kansas City, and Joel's Aunt and Uncle from Richmond. It was so meaningful for us to have them all there!


Harper in her 96 year-old baptism gown, made by my great-grandmother. It is my family's "McLean gown"-- all the McLean women in my family have worn it for their baptisms. My grandmother, Glendora Louise McLean wore it in 1913, and I (Melissa McLean Glass) wore it in 1978. Maybe Harper will have a McLean girl someday to wear it, too! She also wore a tiny gold cross that my amazing Godparents, Cathy and Preston, gave to me on the day that I was baptized. We praise God that Harper has such a wonderful heritage of Believers in both of our families, and that we were able to honor their traditions in her baptism.

We had a little brunch at our house with friends and family to celebrate the special day.

The lunch spread-- chicken salad, quiche, strawberry soup, fruit, and desserts!

Some of Harper's older buddies dropped by-- Ellie Friesen, Micah Shreffler, and Alex Powers.


The yummy cake. God Bless our sweet girl!


It was such a special Mother's Day! Not only am I a first time Mom to the love of my life, but Joel and I also had our Moms there, too. If I am even half the Mom to Harper that these 2 women have been to us, then Harper is one lucky gal! :)

0 comments: